Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Korean Ethics......RESPECT THE OLD PEOPLE!





BUS NO. 2

If you take a bus in Korea, you'll need 1,200 won per each ride. It's the regular fee. It depends on ages as far as I know. or you may use your credit card. Just use the front door and greet the bus driver 안녕하세요 (Annyeong Hasseyo!) and just place your credit card on the machine near the driver or put your cash in the box next to the driver's seat. Then you better sit at the back or else, you'll be forced to stand by elders when they get in the bus, specially if you are young, or even you just look YOUNG... uhuh?

My first unforgettable experience was when an ajunma asked me to help her with her heavy stuff. We crossed together and then afterwards, she said, "THANK YOU!"
probably she knows I'm a foreigner.

 Nevertheless,one day, an old man tapped me on my left shoulder . I was sitting at the right side in front. I had my headsets with me, then i took them off and I gave him a reply, "sorry, i don't speak Korean." and then , somebody explained this to him.. whew! what a relief!
But then it happened again....a flock of old people got on the bus from Daejeon Station. (Oh no1 I got this feeling again!)         

Then there goes this Ajunma, on my way home....she forced me to give the seat..I was speechless and I felt so shame in front of them so without a word I gave my seat standing next to her. I felt really upset so I called up my hubby without reason, I just want them to hear me speaking in English so everybody would notice that i'm not Korean.

About 97 % of the people in the bus were senior citizens. So I got no choice but to offer my seat nicely to the old man close to me. I stood for 1 hour at the back holding my hands tightly on the steel bar as the bus moves on really fast! an  AJUNMA (old woman) called me HAEKSENG (student) and I looked back...she was telling me something, the only word which is familiar to me is KABANG ( bag) then i guessed the whole stuff. I put down my bag and i got the money she was giving me and I placed it down the box. 

hmm..I was just wondering why of all people in the bus how could they just easily call me like a slave. Poor little girl.

I experienced the same thing on the following month, when an old man from the front door went straight to my seat (even I was already hiding and pretending to do something)But sorry for him...I had my mood swing and pretty worried whether I am pregnant or not, so I didn't feel like standing for i must protect my baby if ever.I took off my headset and I looked at him telling, "Excuse me, I don't speak Korean"...He insisted...and reasoned out,"Dari appo" which means  My feet are sick. though i understood it 100%. I pretended that I don't for my personal reasons above. Then, a younger man behind me felt guilty, so he was the one who gave his seat. 
( I salute you boy, but you must have offered it before i felt shame ) gosh...gosh...gosh...
 OFF TO WORK!

Going home from Gao-dong to Bongsan-dong.

How about you? Have you ever had any strange experience like me?

No comments:

Post a Comment